March 2, 2011

A date with his mama

Elijah's turn for an 'outing' with me finally came. He had his mind set on going to the Temple Square for weeks and he got his wish. First we stopped at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. Going all the way up to the 10th floor gave us a fantastic overlook of the Temple Square, not to mention a nice ride in the elevator, which is surprisingly important when you try to impress your almost-5-year-old date.





Then we headed back downstairs, checking out the lobby and stopping for a snack.







I'm sure he didn't realize it, but I didn't just sit across the table watching him munch on potato chips. I was soaking in those perfect moments of being one-on-one with my son.





Eating our snacks and talking to each other was so much fun, that we didn't have much time to to spend at the Visitors' centers. Still, a few things stood out to Elijah - being able to take a peek at what the inside of the Temple looks like, and going up and down the ramp to see the 11-foot tall Christus statue.





And this was it. Our perfect date went by fast, leaving us with many wonderful memories and a stronger connection to each other. I may not see this side of Elijah every day, but seeing him in this light just once in a while is so refreshing and in some ways even healing.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

These are stunning images! :) I love the kid-dates, we do that too. :)

Lisa - The WagonMaster said...

I love so many things about this Olya! The pictures, as always. But more than that is the idea of spending one on one time, and how happy Elijah looks! It seems like its a great thing for you as well, I'm so glad you get to do it.