July 3, 2009

My 'freedom day'

Ah, what a good day it was, so many highlights and happy moments. My friend Annie called it 'freedom day'. So true, so true...

:: did some quilting on my quilt, I think it will be done by the time Maya and Elijah get back from visiting grandparents ::






:: spent my afternoon with some cool and adorable people, Annie and her 'crew' ::






:: little Miles has the most incredible hair, and a chin to match ::




and somewhere in between all that we managed to try a delicious recipe from one of Annie's magazines (remind me the name of it?). It was so good that I made it again once I came home. I'll try to post recipe to the best of my abilities, but I didn't look at the measurements in the magazine, just eyeballed everything, as usual :)




Garam Masala Potatoes

rice (2 c, uncooked)

gold yukon or white potatoes (5 medium sized, cubed into 1" pieces)
oil (canola or extra virgin coconut, just enough for frying)
onion (1 medium or large, chopped)
garlic (3-5 medium or large cloves)
freshly grated ginger (1"-2" piece)
ground coriander (2-3t)
ground cumin (1t)
ground turmeric (1t)
garam masala (2-3t)
baby spinach (lots)
coconut milk (1 can)
water (1/4c)
salt (to taste)

limes
cilantro


Cook rice the way you usually do it.

Boil cubed potatoes for 7-10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook onions until golden brown, add garlic (chopped or minced), ginger and spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add coconut milk, water, salt and drained potatoes. Toss well, cook covered for 5-7 minutes. Add spinach, cover for 2 minutes, then stir and add more spinach if needed (cook covered for another minute or so).

Serve with rice, garnish with chopped cilantro and sprinkle fresh lime juice on top. Feel free to have seconds.

4 comments:

Dorydee said...

I've been lurking for a few days, each of your posts are so simple yet so beautiful. Very inspirational!(and thanks for the mouth-watering recipe!)

Amy said...

I love that quilt, Olya! If you hadn't made it and I'd seen it on some other site, it would have made me think of you.

It's SO you.

Never has a quilt said "Olya" so clearly. ;)

Annie said...

this was the best freedom day ever! the magazine was Vegetarian Times;)

Kate said...

LOVE the colors in this quilt, gorgeous!