June 14, 2009

Since this night isn't looking very promising...

Here I am, at 1 a.m., blogging in the dark while Maya is tossing on the couch with a large bowl sitting on the floor. Do I need to explain what it's for? Poor kid, every time she gets sick like that, she begs me to ask Heavenly Father to help her not to throw up and to just make her feel better...

Sickness aside, I should probably use this opportunity and recap a few things that we've done recently and I didn't get a chance to mention them. Well, at least one thing.

We made bread! Not just any bread, but unbelievably easy 'no-knead' bread that tastes very similar to the bread I grew up on (texture could use some work, but the main idea is the same). Sorry, but even after living in the U.S. for 7 years I still miss the 'real' bread. And just to prove that it's better than pre-cut store bought stuff, Elijah (our toughest critic) devoured one piece after another, crust (yes, CRUST!) included. Our loaf was gone in less than 2 hours. No butter, no jam, just plain bread. It's THAT good.


Maya mixed the dough all by herself







p.s. Maya just got up and walked over to me asking for a hug. Her hot little head next to me for a few seconds was a good enough reason to stay up while everyone else is sleeping...

5 comments:

Amy said...

What recipe are you using? We've been making our own bread here for a few months now. Doesn't it make you feel great? Plus it TASTES so great.

Olya said...

the link is the text, it's a YouTube video. and yes, it does feel great, and the nice thing about this recipe that Maya can make it all by herself.

Angie said...

Is that a whole wheat bread? I hope Maya will feel better soon poor girl.

Olya said...

Angie, I've made it once with white flour, and then with spelt flour. Both turned out great, just had different texture. So I'd say the recipe should work with whole wheat flour as well, of you can try it 50/50 at first. Tell me how it turns out!

kat said...

You take the most amazing pictures Olya! Truly a talented woman in so many ways!