February 14, 2009

Yearning for a change

Winters are too long here in UT. Although this year's winter has been quite mild, I still feel the need to change *something* while awaiting for the changes that spring brings. My hair often turns out to be the first victim. Last year I chopped it myself, just like the year before that. This time I decided instead of cutting my hair yet again, I'd rather add some 'life' to it.

Henna turned out to be the perfect choice. It's natural, doesn't damage my hair, can be applied many times without having to wait more than 3 days, and it leaves my hair looking amazingly healthy, which is huge improvement for my usual shine-free, dull looking hair.

Dyeing my hair with henna is also quite fun, because there's no way to predict the exact shade my hair would end up with. Since I didn't mind experimenting and was feeling quite adventurous, I didn't mind the prospect of my hair ending up the same shade as my couch. I even added some turmeric to the henna mix to improve the odds of an unexpected result.

Here's my hair just a couple of hours after dyeing:

Henna hair, day 1


And here it is 3 days later:

Henna hair, day 4


So the color 3 days later ended up being more red than on the first day. I think now, almost a week later, my hair kept the same red shade and turned a little darker. I like it! Honestly, I don't know what I enjoyed more, the process or the end result. But I can tell with certainty, this is not the last time ;) In fact, I can't even guarantee that I'll stick to the same color, ha!

8 comments:

The Wizzle said...

Everyone should be a redhead! :) It's really fun. And it looks awesome with your green sweater.

Annie said...

beautiful, it looks so good on you!!

Angie said...

I really do like the hair. I am not very smart could you tell me what Henna is?

Angie said...

The henna looks great.

I dyed my hair for years with Henna & loved it. I was recently looking through old photos & was surprised to see my red-hair-of-old. I do remember the shower always looking a bit like a horror film half way through the rinsing out!

The Wizzle said...

I tagged you. Blog again! :)

Heather said...

oooh! LOVE it! I used henna once in college and LOVED the color (i used the one with the fox on the box). I love red! Want to come dye mine?!

onegoldensun said...

Your henna looks great! My hubby has many times over the years helped me to henna my hair. It is a fun, messy process! And something I have also been meaning to do again. I love the herbal smell, too.

Lindsey said...

LOVE your hair! I am a red head right now but it cost me almost $300! yikes. I prefer natural so I've been toying with the idea of henna. I love my red hair.

what product did you use?