June 21, 2011

Life happens

I'm trying a new thing to make sure I can document our life more consistently. Instead of trying to lump my photos into a themed post (which is ok when it's about something like a hike, visit or some other event), I am going to embrace the randomness of our daily life and not be afraid to be random here as well. Because in reality, our life consists of a myriad of random moments that happen throughout the day, every day. Trying to tie them together into one post with some deep meaningful title to go along with it is what often overwhelms me, takes too much time and causes me to not document those things after all. And since I'm a visual person, photos often are the reason I want to post about something, as opposed to writing a story with a few photos to support it.

I hope this will help me to not leave out those small snippets of our life that make it real for us. Because years from now, those small things will be essential in making our memories more vivid and real to us.

..................................

'Tis the season of Farmer's Market! We literally had been counting down the days, waiting for the opening Saturday. And then it happened. And the place was as crowded as ever, even with our 'early' appearance (by our standards, it's before 11 a.m.). It's not easy to take all 4 kids into a crowded place like our downtown Farmer's market, but with 2 of them on our backs and the other two being old enough to stay close, we usually manage to pull it off.




As a reward, we often get to hear local talent performing live music. Some guys are dedicated enough to haul an amazing old piano on a small trailer attached to their bike. They definitely know what they are doing, and it's pretty fascinating to see and hear them play.


..............................

Our herbs are still alive, well, most of them anyway. Not necessarily looking strong and healthy, but good enough to keep us watering them. And I do love the fact that I can just go out the back door and get some fresh rosemary while cooking some vegetables to go on top of polenta.


.............................

Ivy got into her head that she can't just sit on my lap when I'm trying to read something on the computer. Somehow she always ends up on top of the desk. She thinks it's a pretty neat trick and doesn't understand why on earth would I not want her to do it.


............................

We are losing our battle with laundry. I wash it, we fold as much as we can, then somehow everything gets unfolded and scattered all over the floor, or maybe the laundry multiplies with some help from house elves. No matter what we do, it always ends up looking like this, most of the days. Some day, when we live in a house with more than 2 bedrooms, I'll reserve a room just for the laundry, where it can go wild, roaming about, without living in fear of getting contaminated with oatmeal or smashed banana.


...........................

I am *this* close to turning 30, and it makes me think all kinds of deep thoughts, look at myself, ask myself question. And it's not scary at all, because it helps me see things that make me happy and things I need to work on. In the end, life is good.

8 comments:

courtney said...

i came upon your blog some time ago - i just wanted to say hello and let you know i think this is a great post! there shall be no guilt in blog land ;)
i'm glad to read about your transformation from writing for readers to writing for yourself. in the end, what you want to look back on is the ONLY thing that matters here.
happy to have found you xo

mooey said...

Olya-your laundry pile looks just like mine! And have I ever told you how much I LOVE your beautiful pictures? You are an amazing photographer!

Olya said...

thank you, ladies.

My goal has always been to stay true to the original purpose of this blog, which is documenting our life so we can print it some day in a book form for our children.

That being said, I think subconsciously I feel influenced by other blogs I read, and sometimes forget to use my own voice, my own ideas. Granted, being random is not that creative or original, but if it helps me achieve my goal, so be it. I just feel like a burden is being lifted off my shoulders by allowing myself to not worry about organizing my posts into a smooth string of thoughts and events.

Lillian said...

LOVE this post:) Love the wrap, love that your laundry looks like mine, love the randomness! Creating cohesive posts is so daunting most of the time - I love random postings so much!

Anonymous said...

haha, that laundry picture makes me want to carefully pile it all up in the little push car! :) i love the rainbow wrap and skirt, BEAUTIFUL.

meaningful doesn't always need categorization or qualification.

sometimes it's just a single word, or a moment.

that's what's real.
<3

The Wizzle said...

If I was walking behind you at the farmer's market, with your rainbow wrap and awesome dreads, I would totally follow you around and try to catch your eye. You just look so COOL!

GraceYves said...

I just discovered your blog. You look fantastic in that picture at the farmer's market. I hope I will be like that when I am a mom. Where did you get that rainbow carrier?

Hippie Mommy said...

I love love love love love this wrap, can you tell us where you got it/who makes it? Thank you so much!