March 15, 2011

a girl and her pickles


Coming to live in the U.S. almost 9 years ago, I never thought it would be so hard to find good-tasting, non-squishy pickles. After trying out dozens of different varieties, and rejecting most of them (really, why can't we have Vlasic Kosher Baby Dills without 'yellow 5' added to it?), I decided that I could only bring myself to eat pickles from one certain brand. Even then, they are a distant second to the kind of home made pickles my mom used to make. Maya always loved pickles, and turns out Anya loves them too. But I didn't know that until we recently found new kind of baby pickles. They are tiny. I almost feel bad about eating these 'babies'. But Anya is in pickle heaven. One of these days I'll have to master my mom's pickle recipe (but for now I'll practice on making kimchi).


















all done!

6 comments:

jill said...

Just reading this post made my mouth start watering. Saige and I are big pickle eaters too! There is one brand in particular that is my absolute favorite! All the other ones pale in comparison. In fact, I enjoyed a few at lunch, and me and Saige had some for dinner last night. Probably would explain why I feel like I'm retaining water today lol.

Three Lads and a Lis said...

I probably just missed it, but what brand are they - those look so tasty :)

Angie said...

I love,love love pickles! I am craving grandma Braegger's sweet pickles! I think this year I will bottle some pickles:) Anya is too cute for words.

Susan said...

MMmmmm, I love pickles, too; -but only *one* brand ;-)

Maya is adorable. I love her blonde curls. She reminds me of my Amy when Amy was little (she's 13 now!).

The Wizzle said...

Look how long her hair is all of a sudden! Iris is a pickle lover too. I hate them myself, but maybe I've never had a good one!

Anonymous said...

Finn and I will only eat the french pickles from Maille. I found that the park city walmart has them for a bit cheaper and will buy some each time I am up there. Before that I would just announce "50 cents" each time I put one in my mouth...