November 28, 2010

in denial

then...


about an hour old, with cord still uncut (in the right corner of the photo)


and now...


same towel, no less


My Ivy Joy turned 6 months old last week. It's still hard for me to wrap my head around it. I always get asked by strangers how old she is. And all the way up until the day she turned 6 months, my answer was '5 months'. Not '5 and a half'. Not 'almost 6'. Because really, why would I want to admit to anyone that my baby is growing so fast.

Yes, it's denial. She is growing up, crawling, sitting, babbling, laughing, starting to grab our food (or just about anything else that's in front of her, so I'm not interpreting it as her readiness for solids/table foods yet). In other words, she's telling me that we are long past those days when I could still somewhat squeeze her into the newborn category. Oddly enough, this time I didn't ever feel like I 'just wanted her to be older so she could start _______ '(insert: rolling over, giggling, sitting up, grabbing toys, etc). I knew those milestones would happen eventually, but her freshness and newborn smell would never come back. Maybe she did too good of a job at being a 'normal' newborn, unlike her older siblings who screamed around the clock. And just when I got to see how blissful that newborn stage can really be, she went and grew 3 months older overnight. Not fair, Ivy, not fair...

Wait, who am I to complain? She is still living up to her middle name - Joy. Short naps and frequent night wakings aside (ok, also screaming in the car), she manages to put a smile on my face whenever I need it. And hey, she's got bushy eyebrows! Finally! My own flesh and blood, but better, with Mark's eyebrows!

And as much as her siblings fight and pick on each other, they still adore Ivy to pieces. Maya actually gets mad at me sometimes that I had the nerve to be Ivy's mom, not her. To give her a credit, she's pretty darn good at being Ivy's mini-mama when the opportunity presents itself.





6 comments:

Ariana Sullivan said...

I love and hate this post.

I can't grasp the fact that 6 months have gone by since she was born. I feel like I'm barely a step behind with my Ember and that breaks my heart. I don't want these baby days to end!!

Ivy is so beautiful. Just looking at her pictures makes me feel happy with her pretty eyes and gaze right into the lens!

My oldest is just like your Maya when it comes to her little sister. She tells me all the time she wishes she was Ember's mom.

Ivy has the cutest little lips. They always look a bit pouty and puckered :-)

Katrina said...

sigh. Miriam just turned 5 months and I can barely wrap my head around that. I'm loving her little personality as it develops but still sometimes yearn for the little monkey baby who slept all day. (And let me actually leave her sight. I have a very attached baby right now.)

The Nurtured Empath said...

Olya,
Ivy is so absolutely beautiful!!
I'm praying for you and your family, I know how difficult and stressful it all must be for you guys right now.
Sending you love, light and prayers!!♥
~Penny
* who yearns for the newborn stage on an almost daily basis* :o)

The Wizzle said...

Sigh.

I know they're not, really, because I have children and I know yours, and I know mine :), but you always capture them looking so peaceful and angelic in your photos! It's really amazing.

Grace said...

Oh, what gorgeous photos of your sweet wee girl! I have felt the same way with my littlest girl, I always say she is (however many) months old until the very day she turns the next one. I haven't been in any hurry for her to grow up!

Heidi said...

She is so sweet! I love the newborn v. now pic...I know exactly where you are coming from! I always cry when I pack away the newborn clothes...silly, I know...I enjoy all the milestones, but that special newborn time...oh sigh...my jude is 9ish months already!