January 25, 2010

Happy today

I'm slowly getting back into the cooking groove... After months of very little cooking and not trying anything new, food is making me happy again! So today I decided to re-create quinoa salad that we tried at Whole Foods last week during their sampling night. Thank you, Whole Foods, for carefully documenting all the ingredients (while using only recognizable ones), and having plenty of samples on hand, 5 or 6 of them were enough to fill me up and count as dinner :) The salad truly rocked and was exactly what I needed today, so I lovingly came up with very original title for it...


...Rockin' Quinoa Salad! (I know, very impressive)

1.5 c uncooked quinoa

3-5 T red wine vinegar (to taste)
2-4 T extra virgin olive oil (to taste)
1 c corn (whatever kind you have on hand)
1 c black beans
2-3 chopped roma tomatoes
2-4 T finely chopped red onions
fresh parsley, chopped
salt to taste
fresh chopped cucumbers would be nice, but I didn't have any


Cook quinoa. Add everything else. Chill. Eat. Or eat, then chill leftovers. Then go make another batch :)

8 comments:

The Wizzle said...

My dad makes this! I had it for lunch today at his house! Soooo yummy.

Vira said...

I just discovered quinoa for myself last year and that's a great idea! Rocking salad indeed.

moonygoony said...

Can't wait to try your Rocking Salad! I love the Whole Food version, but can never justify buying it when I knew it had to be easy to make on my own.

Glad you are blogging again :)

Kate said...

welcome back... I have to admit I've never made quinoa, but I have been reading about it on a lot of people's blogs, and last year my mum bought me a lemon chicken quinoa soup from Sunflower farmers market after I had my bebe, and it was so yummy... anyhow, I ought to try it this week! thanks!

onegoldensun said...

Yum! I love this kind of salad. I have made a similar one with barley. Makes me think of summer. Nice to see you back at the blog, Olya!

Ariana Sullivan said...

Wanted to check in and say I hope you're doing well. How's your pregnancy going?

E.Z. said...

Hi, got your link from DiaperSw and had already seen your video on Youtube. Man you rock! Your video is like a huge part of my motivation for HB and Hypnobabies.
Thanks so much,
Zainab

MamaT said...

I just wanted to say that I've been on a quest to find "the perfect" quinoa salad and have tried out quite a few different ones. This salad won! It's great and I make it all the time. Thanks for sharing!