August 18, 2009

You got a friend in me...

The subject of friendship is always a tough one for me. I don't make friends easily, and yet I can't live without them. I grew up having friends(mine and my parents') drop by without 'scheduling' a visit, calling all the time just to ask how things were going, taking long walks with us until midnight, and doing everything else that a family member would do. So yes, friends have always been like family members to us. Since I have no blood relatives here in the US, having a good friend is almost vital for me. Yet it's still tricky to make friends when I don't get out much and have borderline anxiety when it comes to talking to people I don't know. As a result, when I do have a friend, you bet I cherish that friendship as much as I would cherish a relationship with a dear immediate family member.

Somehow I often end up having long-distance friendships (a trend started by Mark, perhaps), which is sometimes hard, but I wouldn't trade that for the world. Luckily I have a friend or two I can rely on who lives nearby (ok, one, but I didn't want to scare Annie away with such revelation :). And I enjoy every single moment spent with my friend(s), no matter how many kids are trying to interrupt our attempts of having an adult conversation. And when I get really really lonely (like I did last summer), I don't mind crossing a few states with 2 kids in tow to visit another wonderful friend of mine...

Last week was one of those happy summer days when I got to spend some time with my friends. I don't know Rachel that much, but I bet we'd have lots of fun times if she lived closer (they were visiting from AZ). And Annie was with us too, so yes, we all had a blast :)


radiant Rachel




amazing Annie (and a head of hair)

:: and a couple of photos of my kids, which to me never get old. here's a classic one of Elijah holding a stick next to Anya's face ::


she's got a plastic utensil fetish going on there


And while on the subject of friends, Stephenie, my friend who I enjoyed visiting last September in Chicago, just gave birth to her 3rd baby at home on Monday. Words cannot describe how happy I am for them! Just wish I could be there, do some cooking, cleaning, listening, talking and of course, newborn-holding :)

:: perfectly snuggly baby Finn (I may replace it with a different photo once Stephenie makes her other photos public :) ::
baby Finn

4 comments:

The Wizzle said...

Aw, I wish I lived closer too. If you guys are still in SLC next year we'll probably come by and see you again!

I know what you mean - really good friends are hard to come by, and it takes a lot of work to forge and maintain those relationships. I don't have very many close friends either.

Amy said...

A loyal friend is a precious gift. You are a gem, Olya.

(I said it on FB, but what magical light you had that day! All the pictures are beyond lovely.)

Wendy said...

Thank you for reminding us how precious our close, dear, and best friends are to us. I just forwarded your blog to my friends and saying thank you for being my best friends, far and close. Lovely pictures, as always.

Lisa - The WagonMaster said...

Lonely summer last year... same as when I moved far away? No coincidence I'm sure! I wish you all lived closer! I'm not moving, but you could...