January 26, 2011

just keep swimming...

I still haven't found my blogging mojo, or maybe getting close to 30 is taking it's toll on me and I can't stay up late like used to just a couple of months ago. At least for now Ginny's yarn alongs are providing some motivation for me to blog, even if it's just once a week.

one hat down, one more to go (will be changing the pattern some)

I'm not much of a fiction reader. In fact, the only fiction books I had read in the past 5 years or so were the last 2 books of Harry Potter. And I only did it because I love spoilers and don't like waiting for the rest of the movies to come out. Other than Harry Potter, it's non-fiction all the way for me. We usually have at least 3 dozen of books checked out from the library, most of them are for kids. But lately I've been on a library book-reading binge, so this little stack in the photo is not all I'm leafing through these days, it's just a representation of categories that I've been exploring.

(sorry, no links or author names, searching for those would add another 20 minutes to this post, which I don't really have. I just want to make sure this post gets published, and not abandoned, before my kids hijack my hanging-by-the-thread attention again)

A Curious Collection of Cats - I love well illustrated books. in fact, it's one of the reasons why I enjoying looking through kids books so much. Recently I discovered a whole section of fun poetry books in the back of non-fiction room, and couldn't resist taking this one with me. The illustrations are outstanding, and the colors, well, they are truly a feast to my eyes.


just realized that these two pages match the colors in my quilt in the photo above pretty darn well

Glouriously Gluten-Free Cookbook - we're still figuring this gluten-free life out, which involves me checking out lots of gluten free cookbooks and googling lots of recipes online. Finding a perfect GF bread recipe is especially tricky.

150 Knitted Trims
- thinking of up-cycling my wardrobe, which has been boring me to tears lately. And clothes shopping these days with 4 kids in tow is pretty much a recipe for disaster.

2-at-a-time Socks - ummm... wish me luck. Magic loop is scary. And I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that after knitting for over 2 years, I still haven't made a single pair of socks. I can't say I'm short on sick yarn either. It's just sitting in the basket and begging to be used.


Free and Easy Stitch Style - love this book. I've always wanted to try free-hand stitching/quilting, and this book is just perfect for getting me started. Especially now, when I have a sweet new addition to my sewing machine family (which I didn't realize I had, until Mark counted my sewing machines for me).

12 comments:

mom said...

The stitch free-hand books sounds pretty awesome. I may need to check that out. And what a gorgeous basket of yarn! Envy!!

KnitterMama said...

Oh my gosh, your blog is absolutely lovely. The pictures and stunning and, well, everything...

darlene mcleod said...

Ooh, knitting two socks at once is awesome! My first - and to date only - pair of socks were knit at once on a pair of circular needles. It's lovely: you cast off and you have a pair ready to wear, rather than only being half done! There's something deeply satisfying - and strangely intimidating - about knitting socks. I can't wait to see what you create.

Jessica said...

I hear you about clothes shopping with the kids in tow! I've been thinking of trying a quilt lately too, I'm turning into a fabric hound as well as a yarn hound :)

Angie said...

what kind of bread recipe are you looking for?

Wendy said...

Great illustrations in the cat book! Magic Loop intimidates me, too, and I still haven't knit a pair of socks yet.

Katrina said...

knowing that you've only been knitting 2 years gives me hope i can become a real knitter too. :-)

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen said...

Pretty quilt in the background, reminds me of Anna Maria Horner. You'll have to let us know about the stitch free book, sounds intriguing!

Julie said...

That hat is so gorgeous! It's in my rav favs, i have to knit it!

nest full of eggs said...

oh, what a fun post, great photography :)

Gretchen R said...

Your knitting is gorgeous and so is amazing! What an inspiring blog!

Heidi said...

Oh good, I have not attempted magic loop either, lol! I swear I will tackle real (not mock) cables too someday...:) Love your yarn!!! :)