October 28, 2008

Today's lunch

No, I didn't make it all today :) Mujadarah (rice and lentils) was made last night, flatbread (lepyoshka) was made the night before, and today I just whipped up another batch of Muhammara dip. Tomatoes and cilantro are a perfect addition for rice with lentils, but boy, those tomatoes from Whole Foods are a mockery to my taste buds that are going through a withdrawal after feasting upon real tomatoes from farmers market and Annie's garden in the last few months...

today's lunch
And here's the recipe for Lepyoshka that our friend Linda shared with us (so it's authentic Uzbek ;)

Mix and knead:
2 Cups water
1Tbls yeast
2 tsps salt
5 cups flour

Divide dough into 4 balls and press out one at a time into circles on greased board. Leave the edge thicker than the middle. Condition top with egg and prick flat middle part with fork. Bake on lightly greased baking sheet at 425 until lightly browned.

I have to add that I didn't do the egg part, just made sure the dough was greased on both sides lightly. And I also found out that it's best to stretch out your dough until it's about 1/2" thick. And don't wait for the browning part, mine were too hard once they got browned, but maybe it's just our oven. Oh, and lastly, I did half white flour and half whole wheat. Next time I'll go for all whole wheat :)

6 comments:

Bow Family said...

It looks delicious.

How are you doing.Take care and write me sometimes.

Tatiana

anj said...

mmm...the rice & lentils look so yummy, yet so simple! i am trying that tonight!

The Wizzle said...

Grocery store tomatoes can kiss my butt. :) They aren't even a reasonable facsimile, are they?

And I am totally trying that flatbread, it sounds so easy!

Amy said...

Hey Olya, any idea if that flatbread would work with other flours? Spelt, barley, sorghum, etc, or some combination?

Leciawp said...

This looks delicious!!

Eleanor Stadnyk said...

I was just reading about Lepyoshka in Elif Batuman's book, THE POSSESSED: ADVENTURES WITH RUSSIAN BOOKS so I was happy to find your recipe.